when none of ur internet friends are online
im here. im queer. im not really trying to make a political statement right now but you’re really attractive and i just wanna let you know that the way i swing includes your general direction
“Every day, I work with twentysomethings who feel horribly deceived by the idea that their twenties would be the best years of their lives. People imagine that to do therapy with twentysomethings is to listen to the adventures and misadventures of carefree people, and there is some of that. But behinds closed doors, my clients have unsettling things to say:
• I feel like I’m in the middle of the ocean. Like I could swim in any direction but I can’t see land on any side so I don’t know which way to go.
• I feel like I just have to keep hooking up and see what sticks.
• I didn’t know I’d be crying in the bathroom at work every day.
• The twentysomething years are a whole new way of thinking about time. There’s this big chunk of time and a whole bunch of stuff needs to happen somehow.
• My sister is thirty-five and single. I’m terrified that’s going to happen to me.
• I can’t wait to be liberated from my twenties.
• I’d better not still be doing this at thirty.
• Last night I prayed for just one thing in my life to be certain.”
— The Defining Decade, Meg Jay, PhD."